If The Playoffs Started Today, Playoff Projections Football Class 2A
Always tough to look at RPI numbers this early in the year but also something to look back at when the season start rolling along. I still plan on doing Top 10 breakdowns as the year goes. Remember these are very early RPI numbers and also league play has yet to kick off so most league champions I picked were either record or last year’s champion.
http://chsaanow.com/rpi/football/ Official CHSAA Webpage for RPI
Note: Win! Take care of business and you will get in!
Playoffs (Straight from Chsaanow.com): The Top 16 teams in the Classification based on the final RPI rankings will be placed into the post-season bracket. If a conference champion is not ranked in the Top 16 based on RPI rankings, they will replace the lowest ranked team that is not a conference champion in the Top 16.
Seeding Criteria (once qualifiers are determined)
- The following criteria will be taken into consideration when seeding bracket, in no particular order: geography, RPI, common opponents, strength of schedule, and head to head competition
- A conference champion in the Top-10 of the seeded playoff bracket will host a first round game, unless they are playing another league champion. Once seeded, the seeds of the team will not change regardless of who hosts the game.
- A conference champion not ranked in the top 10 of the seeded playoff bracket will be placed in the bracket but will not host a first round game.
- A conference champion not ranked in the Top 16 of the final RPI rankings will be placed in the bracket, but will not be guaranteed a top 10 seed and will not be guaranteed to host a first round game.
- Conference opponents will not be paired against one another in the first round.
- Geography will be consideration in the first round
- Conference champions that are ranked in the top 16 of the RPI rankings are placed on the board for consideration.
- The seeding committee will determine the #1 overall seed and place that team on the bracket. The #2 team for the same conference as the #1 overall seed will then be placed on the board for consideration. The seeding committee will then determine the #2 overall seed and place that team on the bracket. The #2 team from the same conference s the #2 overall seed will then be placed on the board for consideration. This process followed until all 16 teams are seeded.
League Champions ()= RPI
Colorado League: Kent Denver (8)
Flatirons League: D’Evelyn (15)
Intermountain League: Bayfield (5)
Patriot East League: Platte Valley (3)
Patriot West League: Resurrection Christian (17)
Tri-Peaks League: La Junta (2)
Western Slope League: Basalt (1)
Host First Round Game
Basalt, La Junta, Platte Valley, Bayfield, Salida, Rifle, Kent Denver, Aspen
Note: Due to the new rules Eaton, Berthoud, and Middle Park cannot be placed on the bracket until their league champion is placed. Due to that rule Aspen will host a first round game due to their league #1 and #2 being placed on the bracket.
At Large Berths
Salida, Rifle, Eaton, Berthoud, Middle Park, Aspen, Delta, Pagosa Springs, The Academy
First Four Out
Elizabeth, University, Bennett, Moffat County
First Round Matchups
- Basalt vs 16. Middle Park
- La Junta vs 15. Berthoud
- Platte Valley vs 14. Eaton
- Bayfield vs 13. Resurrection Christian
- Salida vs 12. D’Evelyn
- Rifle vs 11. The Academy
- Kent Denver vs 10. Delta
- Aspen vs 9. Pagosa Springs
Note: This will start to change once league play begins. This is seeding a 16-team bracket based on their seeding rules which states you must place the league champion before the #2 team. If I am reading this wrong let me know. I believe they changed this to make the league championship worth more.