Boys Basketball Class 3A State Tournament Projections/Predictions
Just 3 weekends remain until League Tournaments. Class 3A is straight forward. League Champions and Runner ups get Automatic Berths and the rest is selected by RPI. We will lay out the Regional Projections and Pick the 8 teams we think will get to the Elite 8 played at DU.
With no Regional Tournament for Class 3A the teams are fighting for a Top 32 RPI or as stated below.
- Seven District, each qualifying two teams to the state bracket, with the remaining 18 teams determined by RPI.
- The qualifier advance to a 32-team regional/state bracket where the district champions if ranked in the Top 16 of the RPI plus the next highest RPI finisher will host regions.
- The seven district champions, if ranked in the Top 16 of RPI and the 1st highest RPI qualifier will be placed on the bracket in order of 1-8. A district champion not ranked in the Top 16 of the final RPI will be placed on the bracket but, will not be a top 8 seed and will not host a region. (If a district champion is not in the Top 16 RPI, then the next highest remaining RPI will host). The committee may use the following criteria to seed the final pairing: Final RPI rankings, previous district match-ups, head to head competition, and common opponents.
- Seeds 25-32 may be moved to accommodate geographical considerations.
- The bracket will not be re-seeded going into the state tournament.
- The state tournament shall feature a modified consolation bracket. Teams losing on Thursday will not advance to Friday.
League Champions ()=RPI
Confluence League: DSST-Byers (12)
Frontier: DSST-Montview (28) (Will Not host)
Intermountain: Alamosa (8)
Metro: Lutheran (5)
Patriot: Resurrection Christian (1)
Tri Peaks: Vanguard (4)
Western Slope: Gunnison (14)
Will Host but not League Champions: Faith Christian (2), Centauri (3)
DSST-Green Valley, Middle Park, Centauri, Faith Christian, Sterling, Manitou Springs, Coal Ridge
At Large Teams
Eaton, University, Jefferson Academy, Manual, St. Mary’s, Ridge View Academy, Englewood, Fort Lupton, Lamar, Aspen, Atlas Prep, Strasburg, Montezuma-Cortez, Grand Valley, Kent Denver, Machebeuf, Pagosa Springs, Colorado Academy
First Four Out
Salida, Monte Vista, C.S Christian, Ellicott
Top 8 seeds:
#1 Resurrection Christian
#4 Faith Christian
Bracket: District Matchups will be avoided in first round and 24-32 can be moved due to geography. I will not move teams due to geography this week and will look more into that next week. Also no consolation bracket will be played only Championship and 3rd place game. The Bracket will not be reseeded after the first two rounds.
|*#1 Resurrection Christian vs #32 Colorado Academy|
|#16 St. Mary’s vs #17 Ridge View Academy|
|*#8 Gunnison vs #25 Montezuma-Cortez|
|#9 Sterling vs #24 Strasburg|
|*#5 Alamosa vs #28 Machebeuf|
|#12 Coal Ridge vs #21 Lamar|
|*#4 Faith Christian vs #29 DSST-Montview|
|#13 University vs #20 Fort Lupton|
|*#2 Vanguard vs #31 Middle Park|
|#15 Manual vs #18 Englewood|
|*#7 DSST-Byers vs #26 Grand Valley|
|#10 Manitou Springs vs #23 Atlas Prep|
|*#6 Centauri vs #27 Kent Denver|
|#11 Eaton vs #22 Aspen|
|*#3 Lutheran vs #30 Pagosa Springs|
|#14 Jefferson Academy vs #19 DSST-Green Valley|
*= Regional Host
Elite 8 Teams, Games Played at DU
I am just picking the 8 teams I think will qualify. I will seed by the given rules next week.
#1 Resurrection Christian vs #9 Sterling
#4 Faith Christian vs #5 Alamosa
#2 Vanguard vs #7 DSST-Byers
#3 Lutheran vs #6 Centauri