Boys Basketball Class 3A Regional Projections and State Predictions
For my projections I am using the CHSAA Seeding and Selection Index. I am going to be predicting the District Champions and may just give a quick reason as to why I picked each District Champion. If you are a District Champion ranked in the top 16 of the Seeding Index you will automatically host a regional. Remember to qualify for Regionals you must be ranked inside the top 32 or win your District.
- District Seeding will be done by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index (50% Maxpreps & 50% RPI). Maxpreps and RPI will run through Districts.
- District Winners (8) advancing to the 32-team state bracket. District Champions are guaranteed a top 8 (host slot) as long as they are in the top 16 of the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index after Districts.
- Remaining 24 teams are filled in by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts.
- Seeding criteria for the 32-team state bracket-CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts. Seed 9-24 are true seeded except to try and avoid league matchups in the FIRST ROUND ONLY. Teams may be moved one spot up or down. Teams 25-32 may be moved based upon geography and league matchups.
- First two rounds of the state tournament (Regionals) will be hosted by the top seed in the quadrant of the bracket, over two days. (4-teams total)
- Teams will not be reseeded prior to the final week-state championship (Final 8)
- Top 8 teams will advance. Class 3A Great 8 will play a modified consolation bracket. Teams losing on Thursday will not advance to Friday.
District Tournament Winners
District Metro/Confluence/Lower Platte: Faith Christian
This will be a great battle for this District Crown. Faith Christian is the current top team, but Prospect Ridge and Yuma will both be challenger for that league crown.
District Frontier: Lake County
Lake County is currently the top team, but their weaker schedule does make me pause a bit on this decision. No other teams in this District have really stepped up either. Pinnacle could be that team to rise up and challenge for the league crown.
District IML/SPL: Centauri
Centauri is one of the top teams in Class 3A. They already have some wins over other teams in this District. Centauri I believe still could be challenged by Montezuma-Cortez and Bayfield.
District Black Forest/Santa Fe: Peyton
One of the weaker Districts in Class 3A. Peyton currently is the top team, and I don’t see another team really challenging them in this District. Possibly only one teams gets into Regionals from this District.
District Patriot: Highland
Highland is my current pick to win the Patriot League. Platte Valley and Brush could have something to say about that as the main challengers to Highland. You always see another team come from nowhere in this District and look for Strasburg to be that team.
District Tri-Peaks: Salida
Salida is my favorite to win this District. Salida is closely paced by Vanguard and C.S Christian. The rest of the district looks to be very competitive as well with 10 teams currently inside the top 32.
District Western Slope: Cedaredge
Cedaredge is my slight favorite in this league but Roaring Fork and Meeker both could challenge for that spot. In fact Roaring Fork did beat Cedaredge but I still feel Cedaredge gets them the next time around.
District Mile High/Foothills: Windsor Charter
The Mile High/Foothills District is wide open. Currently Windsor Charter holds the slight edge but I could see Machebeuf rising to challenge Windsor Charter. This is a District battle to keep an eye on.
District Champions and Regional Hosts: ()=Seeding Index
District Metro/Confluence/Lower Platte: Faith Christian (1)
District Frontier: Lake County (13)
District IML/SPL: Centauri (4)
District Black Forest/Santa Fe: Peyton (17) (Will not host)
District Patriot: Highland (3)
District Tri-Peaks: Salida (2)
District Western Slope: Cedaredge (11)
District Mile High/Foothills: Windsor Charter (10)
At-Large Host: Prospect Ridge Academy (5)
Bracket- District matchups will be avoided in the first round. 8 Regional winners qualifying for state. State will not be re-seeded! And play a consolation bracket!
|*#1 Faith Christian vs #32 Strasburg|
|#16 Rye vs #17 Peyton|
|*#8 Lake County vs #25 Manual|
|#9 Vanguard vs #24 Pinnacle|
|*#5 Prospect Ridge vs #28 SkyView Academy|
|#12 Platte Valley vs #21 Bayfield|
|*#4 Centauri vs #29 St. Mary’s|
|#13 Ellicott vs #20 Machebeuf|
|*#2 Salida vs #31 Thomas MacLaren|
|#15 Brush vs #18 Banning Lewis|
|*#7 Cedaredge vs #26 Woodland Park|
|#10 Yuma vs #23 Florence|
|*#6 Windsor Charter vs #27 Meeker|
|#11 C.S Christian vs #22 Roaring Fork|
|*#3 Highland vs #30 Buena Vista|
|#14 Stargate School vs #19 Montezuma-Cortez|
*= Regional Host
My State Qualifier Picks
Here are the 8 teams I think make it to the Elite 8 and the matchups. This will change as the bracket changes. This is still early.
#1 Faith Christian vs #9 Vanguard
#12 Platte Valley vs #4 Centauri
#2 Salida vs #10 Yuma
#11 C.S Christian vs #3 Highland