Girls Basketball Class 2A Regional Projections and State Predictions
For my projections I am using the CHSAA Seeding and Selection Index. I am going to be predicting the District Champions and may just give a quick reason as to why I picked each District Champion. If you are a District Champion ranked in the top 16 of the Seeding Index you will automatically host a regional. Remember to qualify for Regionals you must be ranked inside the top 32 or win your District.
- District Seeding will be done by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index (50% Maxpreps & 50% RPI). Maxpreps and RPI will run through Districts.
- District Winners (8) advancing to the 32-team state bracket. District Champions are guaranteed a top 8 (host slot) as long as they are in the top 16 of the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index after Districts.
- Remaining 24 teams are filled in by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts.
- Seeding criteria for the 32-team state bracket-CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts. Seed 9-24 are true seeded except to try and avoid league matchups in the FIRST ROUND ONLY. Teams may be moved one spot up or down. Teams 25-32 may be moved based upon geography and league matchups.
- First two rounds of the state tournament (Regionals) will be hosted by the top seed in the quadrant of the bracket, over two days. (4-teams total)
- Teams will not be reseeded prior to the final week-state championship (Final 8)
- Top 8 teams will advance. Class 2A Great 8 will play a Consolation Bracket.
District 1: Sanford
I believe this will be a very tightly contested District this year. Sanford still has the edge but look for Del Norte and Monte Vista to challenge. Maybe teams like Center or Sargent could jump in the conversation as well.
District 2: Merino
This will be a slugfest in this District. The winner will be well prepared for Regionals. 5 teams currently sit inside the top 14 of the Seeding Index. Merino gets the early edge as they have already beat most of the top teams in this District.
District 3: Mancos
The winner of District 3 may be the only team to get into Regionals. This is a super weak District currently with just 1 team inside the top 32.
District 4: Dayspring Christian
Dayspring Christian gets the early advantage over Heritage Christian. Dayspring Christian has the head-to-head win and why I am going with them. The rest of this district is weak and may not get into regionals.
District 5: Rangely
This will be a great battle between Rangely, Hayden, and Plateau Valley. Rangely gets the early advantage with the win over Plateau Valley.
District 6: Hoehne
Hoehne is my early pick to win the District. They have a solid win over Fowler and I think Fowler is the only team that will challenge Hoehne.
District 7: Gilpin County
Gilpin County gets the early nod over Denver Christian. Those seem to be the main contenders for this District crown.
District 8: Burlington
This will be a interesting district. The top 4 teams all seem to be contenders for the district crown. Burlington gets the early nod but Limon will be a big challenger. I also think a team like Simla will be in the mix as well.
District Champions and Regional Hosts: ()=Seeding Index
District 1: Sanford (9)
District 2: Merino (1)
District 3: Mancos (12)
District 4: Dayspring Christian (7)
District 5: Rangely (19) (Will not host)
District 6: Hoehne (11)
District 7: Gilpin County (8)
District 8: Burlington (4)
At-Large Host: Akron (2)
Bracket- District matchups will be avoided in the first round. 8 Regional winners qualifying for state. State will not be re-seeded! And play a consolation bracket!
|*#1 Merino vs #32 Byers|
|#16 Heritage Christian vs #17 Simla|
|*#8 Mancos vs #25 Elbert|
|#9 Wiggins vs #24 Monte Vista|
|*#5 Gilpin County vs #28 Haxtun|
|#12 Del Norte vs #21 Hayden|
|*#4 Dayspring Christian vs #29 Cotopaxi|
|#13 Sedgwick County vs #20 Crowley County|
|*#2 Akron vs #31 Swallows Charter|
|#15 Denver Christian vs #18 Fowler|
|*#7 Hoehne vs #26 Addenbrooke Classical|
|#10 Wray vs #23 Plateau Valley|
|*#6 Sanford vs #27 Sargent|
|#11 Limon vs #22 Center|
|*#3 Burlington vs #30 Golden View Classical|
|#14 Evangelical Christian vs #19 Rangely|
*= Regional Host
My State Qualifier Picks
Here are the 8 teams I think make it to the Elite 8 and the matchups. This will change as the bracket changes. This is still early.
#1 Merino vs #9 Wiggins
#12 Del Norte vs #13 Sedgwick County
#2 Akron vs #10 Wray
#6 Sanford vs #3 Burlington