Girls Basketball Class 1A Regional Projections and State Predictions
For my projections I am using the CHSAA Seeding and Selection Index. I am going to be predicting the District Champions and may just give a quick reason as to why I picked each District Champion. If you are a District Champion ranked in the top 16 of the Seeding Index you will automatically host a regional. Remember to qualify for Regionals you must be ranked inside the top 32 or win your District.
- District Seeding will be done by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index (50% Maxpreps & 50% RPI). Maxpreps and RPI will run through Districts.
- District Winners (8) advancing to the 32-team state bracket. District Champions are guaranteed a top 8 (host slot) as long as they are in the top 16 of the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index after Districts.
- Remaining 24 teams are filled in by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts.
- Seeding criteria for the 32-team state bracket-CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts. Seed 9-24 are true seeded except to try and avoid league matchups in the FIRST ROUND ONLY. Teams may be moved one spot up or down. Teams 25-32 may be moved based upon geography and league matchups.
- First two rounds of the state tournament (Regionals) will be hosted by the top seed in the quadrant of the bracket, over two days. (4-teams total)
- Teams will not be reseeded prior to the final week-state championship (Final 8)
- Top 8 teams will advance. Class 2A Great 8 will play a Consolation Bracket.
District Tournament Winners
District 1: Dove Creek
Dove Creek continues to dominate this District. I feel the rest of the teams in this district have all improved, but can they knock off the top team is the main question.
District 2: McClave
District 2 is going to be a slugfest. 4 teams ranked inside the top 10 in the Seeding Index. McClave has the upper had early with wins over other top teams in this District. Should be a great district tournament this year!
District 3: Springfield
Springfield has the early advantage over Kim/Branson. These two teams seem to be head and shoulders above the rest of the district early on. We will see if anyone else rises to challenge these teams.
District 4: Briggsdale
Looks to be a two-horse race for the district crown between Flemings and Briggsdale. These two teams will meet 3 times by the end of the season if not a fourth. These will be great battles between to top 4 teams in the state.
District 5: Stratton
A big week for Stratton last week has them move into my pick. They still will be challenged by Idalia, Hi-Plains, and Flagler.
District 6: Sangre De Cristo
Sangre De Cristo is my team to beat, and I think the only true challenger is Sierra Grande. The rest of this district is in danger of not making regionals.
District 7: Kiowa
Kiowa has come out the gates hot and have quickly established themselves as the team to beat. Deer Trail and Genoa-Hugo will be the main challengers but look for Kiowa to run away with this district.
District 8: Flatirons Academy
The #1 team in 1A and their only loss to a 4A team. I don’t see anyone else in this district pulling the upset. Flatirons Academy is the heavy favorite to win the 1A title.
District Champions and Regional Hosts: ()=Seeding Index
District 1: Dove Creek (10)
District 2: McClave (2)
District 3: Springfield (12)
District 4: Briggsdale (1)
District 5: Stratton (9)
District 6: Sangre De Cristo (13)
District 7: Kiowa (4)
District 8: Flatirons Academy (3)
First Four Out
La Veta, Hanover, Pikes Peak Christian, North Park
Bracket- District matchups will be avoided in the first round. 8 Regional winners qualifying for state. State will not be re-seeded! And play a consolation bracket!
|*#1 Briggsdale vs #32 Caprock Academy|
|#16 Cheyenne Wells vs #17 Genoa-Hugo|
|*#8 Sangre De Cristo vs #25 De Beque|
|#9 Granada vs #24 Front Range Baptist|
|*#5 Stratton vs #28 Wiley|
|#12 Kit Carson vs #21 Rocky Mountain Lutheran|
|*#4 Kiowa vs #29 Nucla|
|#13 Idalia vs #20 Sierra Grande|
|*#2 McClave vs #31 South Baca|
|#15 Hi-Plains vs #18 Eads|
|*#7 Springfield vs #26 Otis|
|#10 Fleming vs #23 Belleview Christian|
|*#6 Dove Creek vs #27 Prairie|
|#11 Cheraw vs #22 Deer Trail|
|*#3 Flatirons Academy vs #30 Arickaree|
|#14 Kim/Branson vs #19 Flagler|
*= Regional Host
My State Qualifier Picks
Here are the 8 teams I think make it to the Elite 8 and the matchups. This will change as the bracket changes. This is still early.
#1 Briggsdale vs #9 Granada
#4 Kiowa vs #5 Stratton
#2 McClave vs #10 Fleming
#3 Flatirons Academy vs #6 Dove Creek