Boys Basketball Class 3A Regional Projections and State Predictions
For my projections I am using the CHSAA Seeding and Selection Index. I am going to be predicting the District Champions and may just give a quick reason as to why I picked each District Champion. If you are a District Champion ranked in the top 16 of the Seeding Index you will automatically host a regional. Remember to qualify for Regionals you must be ranked inside the top 32 or win your District.
- District Seeding will be done by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index (50% Maxpreps & 50% RPI). Maxpreps and RPI will run through Districts.
- District Winners (8) advancing to the 32-team state bracket. District Champions are guaranteed a top 8 (host slot) as long as they are in the top 16 of the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index after Districts.
- Remaining 24 teams are filled in by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts.
- Seeding criteria for the 32-team state bracket-CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts. Seed 9-24 are true seeded except to try and avoid league matchups in the FIRST ROUND ONLY. Teams may be moved one spot up or down. Teams 25-32 may be moved based upon geography and league matchups.
- First two rounds of the state tournament (Regionals) will be hosted by the top seed in the quadrant of the bracket, over two days. (4-teams total)
- Teams will not be reseeded prior to the final week-state championship (Final 8)
- Top 8 teams will advance. Class 3A Great 8 will play a modified consolation bracket. Teams losing on Thursday will not advance to Friday.
District Tournament Winners
District Metro/Confluence/Lower Platte: Faith Christian
This will be a great battle for this District Crown. Faith Christian is the current top team, but Prospect Ridge and Yuma will both be challenger for that league crown. 4 teams in this District are locks for regionals and will be teams to watch.
District Frontier: Lake County
Lake County grabbed a huge win over Pinnacle and more than likely locked up the #1 seed in the District. Lake County may need some help to hold onto a top 16 and host a regional berth. More than likely only Pinnacle gets into regionals.
District IML/SPL: Centauri
Centauri is one of the top teams in Class 3A. They already have some wins over other teams in this District. Centauri I believe still could be challenged by Montezuma-Cortez and Bayfield.
District Black Forest/Santa Fe: Peyton
One of the weaker Districts in Class 3A. Peyton currently is the top team, and I don’t see another team really challenging them in this District. Possibly only one teams gets into Regionals from this District.
District Patriot: Highland
Highland is my current pick to win the Patriot League. Platte Valley and Brush could have something to say about that as the main challengers to Highland. You always see another team come from nowhere in this District and look for Strasburg to be that team.
District Tri-Peaks: Salida
Salida is my favorite to win this District. Salida is closely paced by Vanguard and C.S Christian. The rest of the district looks to be very competitive as well with 10 teams currently inside the top 32.
District Western Slope: Roaring Fork
Roaring Fork remains my pick to win this district. Their head-to-head win over Cedaredge remains the reason why. Very interested to see the rematch of Cedaredge of Roaring Fork
District Mile High/Foothills: Windsor Charter
The Mile High/Foothills District is wide open. Currently Windsor Charter holds the slight edge, but I could see Machebeuf or Skyview Academy rising to challenge Windsor Charter. This is a District battle to keep an eye on.
District Champions and Regional Hosts: ()=Seeding Index
District Metro/Confluence/Lower Platte: Faith Christian (1)
District Frontier: Lake County (15)
District IML/SPL: Centauri (6)
District Black Forest/Santa Fe: Peyton (16)
District Patriot: Highland (2)
District Tri-Peaks: Salida (3)
District Western Slope: Roaring Fork (18) (will not host)
District Mile High/Foothills: Windsor Charter (8)
At-Large Host: Yuma (4)
Bracket- District matchups will be avoided in the first round. 8 Regional winners qualifying for state. State will not be re-seeded! And play a consolation bracket!
|*#1 Faith Christian vs #32 Crested Butte|
|#16 Machebeuf vs #17 Brush|
|*#8 Peyton vs #25 Meeker|
|#9 Vanguard vs #24 Manual|
|*#5 Centauri vs #28 Florence|
|#12 Platte Valley vs #21 Rye|
|*#4 Yuma vs #29 Strasburg|
|#13 Cedaredge vs #20 Woodland Park|
|*#2 Highland vs #31 Thomas MacLaren|
|#15 Ellicott vs #18 Roaring Fork|
|*#7 Lake County vs #26 St. Mary’s|
|#10 Prospect Ridge vs #23 Bayfield|
|*#6 Windsor Charter vs #27 SkyView Academy|
|#11 C.S Christian vs #22 Montezuma-Cortez|
|*#3 Salida vs #30 Pinnacle|
|#14 Stargate School vs #19 Banning Lewis|
*= Regional Host
My State Qualifier Picks
Here are the 8 teams I think make it to the Elite 8 and the matchups. This will change as the bracket changes.
#1 Faith Christian vs #8 Peyton
#4 Yuma vs #5 Centauri
#2 Highland vs #10 Prospect Ridge
#3 Salida vs #11 C.S Christian