Playoff Selection Process Basketball Class 3A thru 1A
With 2019 starting I figured it would be a good time to recap the Selection Process for both Boys and Girls in Class 3A thru 1A. Remember Class 1A plays at a Regional Site and Class 2A and 3A jump right into a bracket and play the First Round and Sweet 16 at Regional Sites and then move to a Neutral location for the Great 8.
With no Regional Tournament for Class 3A the teams are fighting for a Top 32 RPI or as stated below.
- Seven District, each qualifying two teams to the state bracket, with the remaining 18 teams determined by RPI.
- The qualifier advance to a 32-team regional/state bracket where the district champions if ranked in the Top 16 of the RPI plus the next highest RPI finisher will host regions.
- The seven district champions, if ranked in the Top 16 of RPI and the 1st highest RPI qualifier will be placed on the bracket in order of 1-8. A district champion not ranked in the Top 16 of the final RPI will be placed on the bracket but, will not be a top 8 seed and will not host a region. (If a district champion is not in the Top 16 RPI, then the next highest remaining RPI will host). The committee may use the following criteria to seed the final pairing: Final RPI rankings, previous district match-ups, head to head competition, and common opponents.
- Seeds 25-32 may be moved to accommodate geographical considerations.
- The bracket will not be re-seeded going into the state tournament.
- The state tournament shall feature a modified consolation bracket. Teams losing on Thursday will not advance to Friday.
A regional tournament will be played in Class 2A.
- The 8 District shall qualify a specified number of teams to the regional tournament as follows: 4 Teams-District 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 8. 5 Teams-District 5, 3 Teams-District 3.
- The District Champions shall be seeded 1-8 based on RPI and shall host the regional tournaments.
- The remainder of the teams shall be seeded 9-32 by RPI avoiding first round district matchups.
- RPI Seeds 25-32 may be moved to accommodate geography if it benefits the entire bracket.
- The 8 regional winners shall advance to the state tournament.
- After the Final 8 teams have been determined, the teams will be re-seeded based on the following: The 8 regional winners advance to the state tournament where they will be seeded by a committee, made up of administrative representatives. The committee may use the following criteria to seed the final pairings: Final RPI rankings, previous district matchups, head to head competition, and common opponents.
A regional tournament will be played in Class 1A.
- 8 district each qualifying two or three to three regionals.
|School Year||Region 1||Region 2||Region 3|
|2018-2019||1 & 7||4, 5, 8||2, 3, 6|
|2019-2020||1 & 6||4, 5, 8||2, 3, 7|
|2020-2021||1 & 8||4, 5, 7||2, 3, 6|
- The #1 and #2 seed from district 1 & 7 will be paired for the 2018-2019, while the #1, #2, and #3 seeds from District 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 will advance to a regional site. In Region 2 and 3 the nine qualifying teams will be seeded by RPI, avoiding any previous district matchups. In Region 1, District 1 and 7 #1 will play the other district #2s. Region 1 receives 2 state qualifiers, Region 2 and 3 receive 3 state qualifiers.
- Each region shall jointly determine its regional playoff site.
- After the Final 8 teams have been determined, the teams will be re-seeded based on the following: The 8 regional winners advance to the state tournament were they will be seeded by a committee, made up of administrative representatives. The committee may use the following criteria to seed the final pairings: Final RPI rankings, previous district matchups, head to head competition and common opponents.
- Class 1A Great 8 will play a consolation bracket.