Boys Basketball Class 1A Regional Projections and State Predictions
For my projections I am using the CHSAA Seeding and Selection Index. I am going to be predicting the District Champions and may just give a quick reason as to why I picked each District Champion. If you are a District Champion ranked in the top 16 of the Seeding Index you will automatically host a regional. Remember to qualify for Regionals you must be ranked inside the top 32 or win your District.
- District Seeding will be done by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index (50% Maxpreps & 50% RPI). Maxpreps and RPI will run through Districts.
- District Winners (8) advancing to the 32-team state bracket. District Champions are guaranteed a top 8 (host slot) as long as they are in the top 16 of the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index after Districts.
- Remaining 24 teams are filled in by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts.
- Seeding criteria for the 32-team state bracket-CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts. Seed 9-24 are true seeded except to try and avoid league matchups in the FIRST ROUND ONLY. Teams may be moved one spot up or down. Teams 25-32 may be moved based upon geography and league matchups.
- First two rounds of the state tournament (Regionals) will be hosted by the top seed in the quadrant of the bracket, over two days. (4-teams total)
- Teams will not be reseeded prior to the final week-state championship (Final 8)
- Top 8 teams will advance. Class 2A Great 8 will play a Consolation Bracket.
District Tournament Winners
District 1: Dove Creek
Dove Creek appears to be the front runner in District 1. They have avenged their loss to Ouray from earlier in the season. De Beque, Nucla, and Ouray all will challenge Dove Creek some District Tournament time.
District 2: McClave
Going to call District 2 the toughest District in 1A. All 7 teams are inside the top 36 of the Seeding Index and 4 sit inside the top 16. I can see Cheraw, Wiley, Cheyenne Wells, and Granada all challenging McClave for the District crown.
District 3: La Veta
Currently District 3 would not host a Regional Tournament and will need the winner to make a big run to end the season. Right now, just two teams would qualify for Regionals from District 3. La Veta grabbed the head to head win over Springfield and I give them the edge to win the Crown.
District 4: Fleming
Fleming takes over as my pick to win District 4. Fleming beat Briggsdale head-to-head and move as my pick to win District 4. The rest of the district is in bubble range to reach the regionals.
District 5: Stratton
Stratton is my pick for the District 5 crown. Stratton will not have this district handed to them. I think Otis, Arickaree, and Idalia all push for that District Crown.
District 6: Sierra Grande
Sierra Grande now sits with the highest Seeding Index and look for Centennial and Sangre De Cristo to challenge Sierra Grande. Don’t count out Moffat as well.
District 7: Genoa-Hugo
Genoa-Hugo is my pick to win District 7. Pikes Peak Christian may have something to say about that as they also sit inside the top 10 of the Seeding Index. Kiowa has also made a move into the top 32 but can they stay there is the question.
District 8: Belleview Christian
Belleview Christian still looks like the favorite to win District 8. They will be challenged by Denver Jewish Day and Flatirons Academy. Should be a fun district tournament to watch and the District Champion will be battled tested.
District Champions and Regional Hosts: ()=Seeding Index
District 1: Dove Creek (6)
District 2: McClave (3)
District 3: La Veta (22) (Will not host)
District 4: Fleming (10)
District 5: Stratton (4)
District 6: Sierra Grande (16)
District 7: Genoa-Hugo (5)
District 8: Belleview Christian (1)
At-Large Host: Denver Jewish Day (2)
First Four Out
Hanover (33), Kit Carson (34), Kiowa (35), Mile High Academy (36)
Bracket- District matchups will be avoided in the first round. 8 Regional winners qualifying for state. State will not be re-seeded! And play a consolation bracket!
|*#1 Belleview Christian vs #32 Peetz|
|#16 Eads vs #17 Wiley|
|*#8 Sierra Grande vs #25 De Beque|
|#9 Otis vs #24 Nucla|
|*#5 Genoa-Hugo vs #28 Denver Waldorf|
|#12 Briggsdale vs #21 Arickaree|
|*#4 Stratton vs #29 Longmont Christian|
|#13 Pikes Peak Christian vs #20 Granada|
|*#2 Denver Jewish Day vs #31 Hi-Plains|
|#15 Front Range Baptist vs #18 Centennial|
|*#7 Fleming vs #26 Denver Academy of Torah|
|#10 Flatirons Academy vs #23 Springfield|
|*#6 Dove Creek vs #27 Sangre De Cristo|
|#11 Cheraw vs #22 La Veta|
|*#3 McClave vs #30 Ouray|
|#14 Cheyenne Wells vs #19 Idalia|
*= Regional Host
My State Qualifier Picks
Here are the 8 teams I think make it to the Elite 8 and the matchups. This will change as the bracket changes.
#1 Belleview Christian vs #8 Sierra Grande
#4 Stratton vs #5 Genoa-Hugo
#2 Denver Jewish Day vs #7 Fleming
#3 McClave vs #6 Dove Creek