Girls Basketball Class 1A Regional Projections and State Predictions
For my projections I am using the CHSAA Seeding and Selection Index. I am going to be predicting the District Champions and may just give a quick reason as to why I picked each District Champion. If you are a District Champion ranked in the top 16 of the Seeding Index you will automatically host a regional. Remember to qualify for Regionals you must be ranked inside the top 32 or win your District.
- District Seeding will be done by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index (50% Maxpreps & 50% RPI). Maxpreps and RPI will run through Districts.
- District Winners (8) advancing to the 32-team state bracket. District Champions are guaranteed a top 8 (host slot) as long as they are in the top 16 of the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index after Districts.
- Remaining 24 teams are filled in by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts.
- Seeding criteria for the 32-team state bracket-CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts. Seed 9-24 are true seeded except to try and avoid league matchups in the FIRST ROUND ONLY. Teams may be moved one spot up or down. Teams 25-32 may be moved based upon geography and league matchups.
- First two rounds of the state tournament (Regionals) will be hosted by the top seed in the quadrant of the bracket, over two days. (4-teams total)
- Teams will not be reseeded prior to the final week-state championship (Final 8)
- Top 8 teams will advance. Class 2A Great 8 will play a Consolation Bracket.
District Tournament Winners
District 1: Dove Creek
Dove Creek continues to dominate this District. I feel the rest of the teams in this district have all improved, but can they knock off the top team is the main question.
District 2: McClave
District 2 is going to be a slugfest. 4 teams ranked inside the top 10 in the Seeding Index. McClave has the upper had early with wins over other top teams in this District. Should be a great district tournament this year!
District 3: Springfield
Springfield has the early advantage over Kim/Branson. These two teams seem to be head and shoulders above the rest of the district early on. We will see if anyone else rises to challenge these teams.
District 4: Briggsdale
Looks to be a two-horse race for the district crown between Flemings and Briggsdale. These two teams will meet 3 times by the end of the season if not a fourth. These will be great battles between to top 4 teams in the state.
District 5: Idalia
A few surprises early on in this District. Idalia has risen up so far as the team to beat but Hi-Plains, Stratton, and Flagler all look to be contenders in this district.
District 6: Sangre De Cristo
Sangre De Cristo is my team to beat, and I think the only true challenger is Sierra Grande. The rest of this district is in danger of not making regionals.
District 7: Kiowa
Kiowa has come out the gates hot and have quickly established themselves as the team to beat. Deer Trail and Genoa-Hugo will be the main challengers but look for Kiowa to run away with this district.
District 8: Flatirons Academy
The #1 team in 1A and their only loss to a 4A team. I don’t see anyone else in this district pulling the upset. Flatirons Academy is the heavy favorite to win the 1A title.
District Champions and Regional Hosts: ()=Seeding Index
District 1: Dove Creek (10)
District 2: McClave (4)
District 3: Springfield (12)
District 4: Briggsdale (3)
District 5: Idalia (9)
District 6: Sangre De Cristo (11)
District 7: Kiowa (2)
District 8: Flatirons Academy (1)
Bracket- District matchups will be avoided in the first round. 8 Regional winners qualifying for state. State will not be re-seeded! And play a consolation bracket!
|*#1 Flatirons Academy vs #32 La Veta|
|#16 Flagler vs #17 Deer Trail|
|*#8 Springfield vs #25 Caprock Academy|
|#9 Fleming vs #24 Arickaree|
|*#5 Idalia vs #28 Prairie|
|#12 Cheraw vs #21 Sierra Grande|
|*#4 McClave vs #29 Front Range Baptist|
|#13 Kim/Branson vs #20 Genoa-Hugo|
|*#2 Kiowa vs #31 Wiley|
|#15 Stratton vs #18 Eads|
|*#7 Sangre De Cristo vs #26 De Beque|
|#10 Granada vs #23 Belleview Christian|
|*#6 Dove Creek vs #27 Lone Star|
|#11 Kit Carson vs #22 Nucla|
|*#3 Briggsdale vs #30 Cheyenne Wells|
|#14 Hi-Plains vs #19 Rocky Mountain Lutheran|
*= Regional Host
My State Qualifier Picks
Here are the 8 teams I think make it to the Elite 8 and the matchups. This will change as the bracket changes. This is still early.
#1 Flatirons Academy vs #9 Fleming
#5 Idalia vs#4 McClave
#2 Kiowa vs #7 Sangre De Cristo
#6 Dove Creek vs #3 Briggsdale