Boys Basketball Class 2A Regional Projections and State Predictions
For my projections I am using the CHSAA Seeding and Selection Index. I am going to be predicting the District Champions and may just give a quick reason as to why I picked each District Champion. If you are a District Champion ranked in the top 16 of the Seeding Index you will automatically host a regional. Remember to qualify for Regionals you must be ranked inside the top 32 or win your District.
- District Seeding will be done by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index (50% Maxpreps & 50% RPI). Maxpreps and RPI will run through Districts.
- District Winners (8) advancing to the 32-team state bracket. District Champions are guaranteed a top 8 (host slot) as long as they are in the top 16 of the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index after Districts.
- Remaining 24 teams are filled in by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts.
- Seeding criteria for the 32-team state bracket-CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts. Seed 9-24 are true seeded except to try and avoid league matchups in the FIRST ROUND ONLY. Teams may be moved one spot up or down. Teams 25-32 may be moved based upon geography and league matchups.
- First two rounds of the state tournament (Regionals) will be hosted by the top seed in the quadrant of the bracket, over two days. (4-teams total)
- Teams will not be reseeded prior to the final week-state championship (Final 8)
- Top 8 teams will advance. Class 2A Great 8 will play a Consolation Bracket.
District Tournament Winners
District 1: Sanford
I wanted to put Sanford here last week but went Del Norte. Sanford this week deserves this spot after defeating Custer County and Monte Vista. Del Norte, Custer County, and Monte Vista still appear to challenge them but Sanford has just Del Norte left for teams they have not played.
District 2: Wray
District 2 will be a battle between Merino, Wiggins, and Wray. Those 3 teams seem to be the top of the league. Haxtun, Akron, and Holyoke also seem to be in the mix and this District Tournament will have all these teams ready for Regionals.
District 3: Mancos
The winner of District 3 may be the only team to get into Regionals. This is a super weak District currently with just 1 team inside the top 32. Mancos has a solid win over Sanford and that is why I picked them. Telluride will also be in the mix.
District 4: Heritage Christian
Heritage Christian seems to be the team to beat in District 4. Heritage Christian has a big win over Wiggins. I still look for Union Colony Prep to challenge them in the District Tournament.
District 5: Vail Christian
Vail Christian has the tradition of winning this District and that is the main reason I am picking them early in the season. Plateau Valley, Rangely, & Vail Mountain will be the main challengers.
District 6: Crowley County
Crowley County has the lead and are undefeated. Crowley County has shown they could be beat with a close game against Holly. Crowley County will be challenged by Holly, and Fowler. There always seems to be a surprise or two in this District.
District 7: Front Range Christian
District 7 I think is up for grabs and could come down to who gets hot at the right time. Front Range Christian is hot right now but their loss to Pikes Peak Christian still puzzles me. Golden View Classical and Denver Christian will be the main challengers.
District 8: Limon
If you want to talk about a battle and one of the most intense District Tournaments, then District 8 is your tournament. Currently 5 schools sit inside the top 20 of the Seeding Index. ECA, Simla, Byers, and Burlington I believe are the true challengers to Limon.
District Champions and Regional Hosts: ()=Seeding Index (Updated 2/2/2023)
District 1: Sanford (16)
District 2: Wray (7)
District 3: Mancos (30) (Will not host)
District 4: Heritage Christian (12)
District 5: Vail Christian (10)
District 6: Crowley County (1)
District 7: Front Range Christian (5)
District 8: Limon (3)
At-Large Host: Evangelical Christian (2) (If they don’t win their District, I am moving them to the #3 seed)
First Four Out
Vail Mountain, Union Colony Prep, Loveland Classical, Telluride
Bracket- District matchups will be avoided in the first round. 8 Regional winners qualifying for state. State will not be re-seeded! And play a consolation bracket!
|*#1 Crowley County vs #32 Rangely|
|#16 Del Norte vs #17 Fowler|
|*#8 Sanford vs #25 Hoehne|
|#9 Simla vs #24 Haxtun|
|*#5 Wray vs #28 Las Animas|
|#12 Merino vs #21 Denver Christian|
|*#4 Front Range Christian vs #29 Elbert|
|#13 Golden View Classical vs #20 Cotopaxi|
|*#2 Limon vs #31 Akron|
|#15 Wiggins vs #18 Custer County|
|*#7 Heritage Christian vs #26 Monte Vista|
|#10 Plateau Valley vs #23 Haxtun|
|*#6 Vail Christian vs #27 CS School|
|#11 Holly vs #22 Holyoke|
|*#3 Evangelical Christian vs #30 Mancos|
|#14 Byers vs #19 Burlington|
*= Regional Host
My State Qualifier Picks
Here are the 8 teams I think make it to the Elite 8 and the matchups. This will change as the bracket changes. Matchups will be very key when it comes to who I think makes it to the State Tournament
#1 Crowley County vs #9 Simla
#5 Wray vs #4 Front Range Christian
#2 Limon vs #7 Heritage Christian
#3 Evangelical Christian vs #11 Holly