Boys Basketball Class 2A Regional Projections and State Predictions
For my projections I am using the CHSAA Seeding and Selection Index. I am going to be predicting the District Champions and may just give a quick reason as to why I picked each District Champion. If you are a District Champion ranked in the top 16 of the Seeding Index you will automatically host a regional. Remember to qualify for Regionals you must be ranked inside the top 32 or win your District. I will go into which teams are on the bubble in my article tomorrow.
- District Seeding will be done by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index (50% Maxpreps & 50% RPI). Maxpreps and RPI will run through Districts.
- District Winners (8) advancing to the 32-team state bracket. District Champions are guaranteed a top 8 (host slot) as long as they are in the top 16 of the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index after Districts.
- Remaining 24 teams are filled in by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts.
- Seeding criteria for the 32-team state bracket-CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts. Seed 9-24 are true seeded except to try and avoid league matchups in the FIRST ROUND ONLY. Teams may be moved one spot up or down. Teams 25-32 may be moved based upon geography and league matchups.
- First two rounds of the state tournament (Regionals) will be hosted by the top seed in the quadrant of the bracket, over two days. (4-teams total)
- Teams will not be reseeded prior to the final week-state championship (Final 8)
- Top 8 teams will advance. Class 2A Great 8 will play a Consolation Bracket.
District Tournament Winners
District 1: Sanford
Sanford continues to be my pick to win District 1. Sanford has one last test remaining with Del Norte on Saturday. Winner could be the #1 seed and be opposite of one of the main challengers in Custer County.
District 2: Wray
District 2 will be a battle between Merino, Wiggins, and Wray. Those 3 teams seem to be the top of the league. Haxtun, Akron, and Holyoke also seem to be in the mix and this District Tournament will have all these teams ready for Regionals.
District 3: Mancos
The winner of District 3 may be the only team to get into Regionals. This is a super weak District currently with just 1 team inside the top 32.
District 4: Heritage Christian
Heritage Christian seems to be the team to beat in District 4. Heritage Christian has a big win over Wiggins. District 4 may just get 1 team into Regionals.
District 5: Vail Christian
Vail Christian has the head to head win over Plateau Valley. I see these two teams clashing again in the District Tournament. Vail Mountain and Rangely will also be challengers.
District 6: Crowley County
Crowley County has the lead and are undefeated. Crowley County has shown they could be beat with a close game against Holly. Crowley County will be challenged by Holly, Hoehne and Fowler. There always seems to be a surprise or two in this District.
District 7: Front Range Christian
District 7 I think is up for grabs and could come down to who gets hot at the right time. Golden View Classical has played a tough schedule and Denver Christian is also playing better basketball. This will be a fun tournament to watch.
District 8: Limon
If you want to talk about a battle and one of the most intense District Tournaments, then District 8 is your tournament. Currently 5 schools sit inside the top 20 of the Seeding Index. ECA, Simla, Byers, and Burlington I believe are the true challengers to Limon.
District Champions and Regional Hosts: ()=Seeding Index (Updated 2/15/2023)
District 1: Sanford (12)
District 2: Wray (5)
District 3: Mancos (23) (Will not host)
District 4: Heritage Christian (14)
District 5: Vail Christian (8)
District 6: Crowley County (2)
District 7: Front Range Christian (13)
District 8: Limon (1)
At-Large Host: Simla (3)
Bracket- District matchups will be avoided in the first round. 8 Regional winners qualifying for state. State will not be re-seeded! And play a consolation bracket!
|*#1 Limon vs #32 Las Animas|
|#16 Custer County vs #17 Byers|
|*#8 Heritage Christian vs #25 Akron|
|#9 Evangelical Christian vs #24 Cotopaxi|
|*#5 Vail Christian vs #28 Monte Vista|
|#12 Plateau Valley vs #21 Fowler|
|*#4 Wray vs #29 Vail Mountain|
|#13 Wiggins vs #20 Denver Christian|
|*#2 Crowley County vs #31 Rangely|
|#15 Burlington vs #18 Del Norte|
|*#7 Front Range Christian vs #26 Holyoke|
|#10 Merino vs #23 Mancos|
|*#6 Sanford vs #27 Elbert|
|#11 Holly vs #22 Haxtun|
|*#3 Simla vs #30 Swink|
|#14 Golden View Classical vs #19 Hoehne|
*= Regional Host
My State Qualifier Picks
Here are the 8 teams I think make it to the Elite 8 and the matchups. This will change as the bracket changes. Matchups will be very key when it comes to who I think makes it to the State Tournament
#1 Limon vs #8 Evangelical Christian
#4 Wray vs #5 Vail Christian
#2 Crowley County vs #10 Merino
#6 Sanford vs #3 Simla