Boys Basketball Class 1A Regional Projections and State Predictions
For my projections I am using the CHSAA Seeding and Selection Index. I am going to be predicting the District Champions and may just give a quick reason as to why I picked each District Champion. If you are a District Champion ranked in the top 16 of the Seeding Index you will automatically host a regional. Remember to qualify for Regionals you must be ranked inside the top 32 or win your District.
- District Seeding will be done by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index (50% Maxpreps & 50% RPI). Maxpreps and RPI will run through Districts.
- District Winners (8) advancing to the 32-team state bracket. District Champions are guaranteed a top 8 (host slot) as long as they are in the top 16 of the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index after Districts.
- Remaining 24 teams are filled in by the CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts.
- Seeding criteria for the 32-team state bracket-CHSAA Seeding & Selection Index published after Districts. Seed 9-24 are true seeded except to try and avoid league matchups in the FIRST ROUND ONLY. Teams may be moved one spot up or down. Teams 25-32 may be moved based upon geography and league matchups.
- First two rounds of the state tournament (Regionals) will be hosted by the top seed in the quadrant of the bracket, over two days. (4-teams total)
- Teams will not be reseeded prior to the final week-state championship (Final 8)
- Top 8 teams will advance. Class 2A Great 8 will play a Consolation Bracket.
District Tournament Winners
District 1: Dove Creek
Dove Creek appears to be the front runner in District 1 but they did fall to Ouray early in the season. Dove Creek will be challenged by Ouray and De Beque but also you cannot rule out Nucla from making things interesting.
District 2: McClave
Going to call District 2 the toughest District in 1A. All 7 teams are inside the top 32 of the Seeding Index and 3 sit inside the top 10. I can see Cheraw, Wiley, Cheyenne Wells, and Granada (once healthy) all challenging McClave for the District crown.
District 3: Springfield
Currently District 3 would not host a first-round game and will need the winner to make a big run to end the season. Right now, just two teams would qualify for Regionals from District 3.
District 4: Briggsdale
Briggsdale has the early advantage for me right now in District 4. I do think Fleming can and will challenge for the district crown as well. The Rest of the district is in danger of not making it to regionals but I do think Peetz, Prairie, and Longmont Christian could see a run for regionals.
District 5: Stratton
Stratton is my pick for the District 5 crown. Otis, Arickaree, and Idalia I think could all challenge Stratton for that District Crown. Stratton is in very good position for a high seed at Regionals.
District 6: Sierra Grande
Centennial has the highest Seeding Index in the District but I still think the District crown runs thru Sierra Grande. Sierra Grande has the experience and tradition to win the District Tournament. I do think Centennial can challenge for that District title. Look for Moffat to also make a run for regionals as well.
District 7: Genoa-Hugo
Genoa-Hugo looks to be the main team in District 7. Pikes Peak Christian will be the main challenger and I think just a two-horse race for the District 7 title.
District 8: Belleview Christian
Belleview Christian looked like it was going to run away with the District 8 crown but Front Range Baptist did show they could be challenged. Flatirons Academy and Denver Jewish Day look to be the main challengers to Belleview Christian.
District Champions and Regional Hosts: ()=Seeding Index
District 1: Dove Creek (9)
District 2: McClave (4)
District 3: Springfield (22) (will not host)
District 4: Briggsdale (8)
District 5: Stratton (5)
District 6: Sierra Grande (16)
District 7: Genoa-Hugo (7)
District 8: Belleview Christian (1)
At-Large Host: Flatirons Academy (2)
Bracket- District matchups will be avoided in the first round. 8 Regional winners qualifying for state. State will not be re-seeded! And play a consolation bracket!
|*#1 Belleview Christian vs #32 Hi-Plains|
|#16 Cheyenne Wells vs #17 Otis|
|*#8 Sierra Grande vs #25 La Veta|
|#9 Denver Jewish Day vs #24 Granada|
|*#5 Genoa-Hugo vs #28 Sangre De Cristo|
|#12 Pikes Peak Christian vs #21 Eads|
|*#4 Stratton vs #29 Kit Carson|
|#13 Fleming vs #20 Denver Academy of Torah|
|*#2 Flatirons Academy vs #31 Ouray|
|#15 Front Range Baptist vs #18 Arickaree|
|*#7 Dove Creek vs #26 Kiowa|
|#10 Cheraw vs #23 De Beque|
|*#6 Briggsdale vs #27 Idalia|
|#11 Wiley vs #22 Springfield|
|*#3 McClave vs #30 Mile High Academy|
|#14 Centennial vs #19 Denver Waldorf|
*= Regional Host
My State Qualifier Picks
Here are the 8 teams I think make it to the Elite 8 and the matchups. This will change as the bracket changes. This is still early.
#1 Belleview Christian vs #24 Granada (If healthy)
#5 Genoa-Hugo vs #4 Stratton
#2 Flatirons Academy vs#7 Dove Creek
#6 Briggsdale vs #3 McClave